Yield: 1 pie (serves 8 pp.)
8 oz. Cookie Crumbs
3 oz Sugar
2 oz. Butter melted
2 cups Whole milk
6 large Egg yolks
1/4 cup Cornstarch
3/4 cup Dark brown sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. Table salt
4 tsp. Unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into small pieces
2 cups Whipped Cream sweetened (stabilized- see recipe)
1 ea. Sliced Banana dipped in chocolate (optional)
6 oz. Vanilla cookies
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Press mixture firmly in bottom and up sides of pie pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and toasted
- Meanwhile, peel 1 banana and place in a blender with milk, egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla, and salt and process until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and is thick, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter, a few pieces at a time, until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Pour in filling into the pie shell and evenly smooth with a spatula. Slice remaining 3 bananas into 1/2-inch pieces and arrange on top of custard. Smooth whipped cream over top, loosely cover in plastic, and set in refrigerator until cool and set, at least 3 hours.