Soups, Stocks, and Sauces
Throughout this course each student will be instructed in the following culinary techniques:
- Consommé -- developing flavor by balancing aromatics, meats and acids; identifying the roles of each key ingredient
- Stocks: White, Brown and Fish -- creating stocks from chicken, veal, fish and vegetables
- Tomato Sauce -- allows for countless variations and flavor profiles
- White Sauce -- most widely used in soups and gravies; creating mornay sauce, veloute and béchamel
- Brown Sauce -- learning techniques for roasting bones, creating espagnole, demi glace and pan gravy.
- Hollandaise Sauce -- versatile sauce able to complement every course of the meal from appetizers to desserts
This course will provide the student with the a base of knowledge for creating the flavorful soups, stocks and sauces. This is arguably, the greatest test of a chef's culinary skills.